Assistant City Manager/CTO
Under general administrative direction, performs highly responsible and complex management and administrative duties and undertakes a variety of special projects for the City Manager; assists the City Manager with the direction and coordination of the activities of all City departments; directly supervises assigned program areas; provides leadership in policy formation and implementation of policies and procedures; promotes effective and efficient operations throughout the organization by facilitating interdepartmental cooperation and sharing of resources; provides responsible staff assistance to the City Manager, City Council, and department heads; and serves as acting City Manager as required.
Duties & Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of the Assistant City Manager/CTO are to:
- Provide assistance and support to the City Manager, analyze and implement policies and programs, and respond to and resolve public inquiries.
- Direct and supervise the administration of the technology and innovation department.
- Develop programs and activities to attract and retain businesses for the City.
- Assess and communicate risks associated with technology-related investments and purchases.
- Develop business case justifications and cost/benefit analyses for technology spending and initiatives.
- Define requirements for new technology implementations and communicate them to key business stakeholders.
- Review hardware and software acquisition and maintenance contracts and pursue master agreements to capitalize on economies of scale.
- Define and communicate City procedures, policies, and standards for acquiring, implementing, and operating new infrastructure, network systems, equipment, and other technologies.
- Approve, prioritize, and control projects and the project portfolio as they relate to Infrastructure and Operational Services.
- Conduct research to remain up-to-date and knowledgeable about industry trends and emerging technologies.
- Analyze and improve upon technology standards across the organization.
- Creatively and independently provide resolution to technical problems in a cost-effective manner.
- Develop, track, and control their annual operating and capital budgets for purchasing, staffing, and operations.
- Supervise recruitment, development, retention, and organization of all technical staff in accordance with City budgetary objectives and personnel policies.
- Ensure continuous delivery of technical services through oversight of service level agreements with end users, and monitoring of systems, programs, and equipment performance.
- Ensure equipment and software operation adheres to applicable laws and regulations.