The City Manager is the Chief Executive Officer of the City, responsible to City Council for the management of all City affairs. As such, he administers the policy and strategic decisions made by the city council and oversees the day-to-day operations of city government. It is the city manager’s responsibility to ensure that all city services are delivered in an efficient and cost-effective manner and to provide leadership to the city organization.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of the City Manager are to:
- Direct and supervise the administration of all departments, offices and agencies of the City with responsibility for the appointment and removal of all city employees and appointed officers;
- See that all laws and acts of City Council are faithfully executed;
- Prepare and submit the annual budget to City Council and implement the final budget approved by City Council to achieve the goals of the City;
- Submit to City Council and make available to the public a complete report on the finances and administrative activities of the City as of the end of each fiscal year;
- Keep City Council fully advised as to the financial condition and future needs of the City;
- Make recommendations to City Council concerning affairs of the City and facilitate the work of Council in developing and implementing policy;
- Assist City Council in developing long term goals for the City and strategies to implement these goals;
- Make such reports as City Council may require concerning operations;
- Encourage and provide staff support for regional and intergovernmental cooperation;
- Promote partnerships among City Council, staff, and citizens in developing public policy and building a sense of community.