City's Solid Waste Line
Ins and Outs of Recycling
Contaminants cause the rejection of tons of recyclables every year, which increases the cost of recycling.
The Top Three Contaminants are:
- Plastic grocery bags
- Take-out pizza boxes
Other contaminants include:
- Hard cover books
- Light bulbs
- Cookware (ceramics, plates, cups)
- Window / mirror glass
- Construction debris
Please do not put these in your recycle bin, and remember:
When In Doubt, Throw It Out!
Current Service to Expire December 31, 2018
The city's contract with the current solid waste provider, Waste Pro, expires on December 31, 2018. Until that time, service will be provided as usual by Waste Pro. This includes the trash pickup day of Monday and the recycling holiday schedule.
City Trash Pickup and Recycling Holiday Schedule
There are only three (3) holidays that the City does not provide collection and disposal services:
- New Year's Day - January 1st
- Thanksgiving Day - 4th Thursday in November
- Christmas Day - December 25th
How it works:
If one of the holidays listed above falls on a Monday, then your trash, recycling and yard waste will be picked up on Tuesday. If the holiday falls on Saturday or Sunday, there will still be normal trash pickup on Monday.
Optional Services billed through Waste Pro.
Contact Waste Pro at 770-777-1447 for the following services:
- 65 Gallon Recycle Cart - $1.20 per container per month
- Curbside pickup of Yard Trimmings - $2.95 per month for 6 months minimum service
- Pickup of extra bags/boxes - $3.00 per bag/box and each must be less than 50 lbs.
- Pickup of bulky items - may be made once per week at no extra charge
Door side pickup is available for handicapped who are not able to take their containers to the curb for pickup.
Yard trimming pickup includes up to ten (10) bags per household. Residents may also use a labeled container (marked yard trimmings) for yard waste pickup. Also accepted: bundled sticks no longer than three (3) feet) and 50 lb. limit (per bundle).
Basic Service billed annually on your property tax bill for services beginning in 2016.
Once weekly trash pickup and recycling - $11.50 per month, $138.00 annually*. There is an annual savings of $85.80 or 38.3% compared with 2013 cost for Gwinnett County.
For seniors (65 and older) there is a 15% discount, an annual payment of $117.30.
For billing questions call the city's solid waste line 770-609-8816.
*This is for the trash and recycling containers only. For bulky items or extra bags/boxes you must call Waste Pro (770-777-1447) and request a pickup. See "Optional Services Billed through Waste Pro" above.
New Service to Begin January 1, 2019
The city has entered into a new contract with a new solid waste provider, Waste Management. The new service will commence on January 1, 2019.
The city’s contract with the current solid waste provider is scheduled to expire at the end of 2018. Earlier this year the city issued a Request for Proposal (RFP) inviting all solid waste haulers to bid on the contract.
- The city received multiple responses, and all the costs proposed came in higher than what is currently being charged for services.
- Additionally, all the haulers proposed a multiple-day pickup schedule to ensure each resident’s garbage and recycling are picked up on their designated day and to ensure a high level of customer service.
- Waste Management was selected by the city to begin providing services to our residents in January 2019. More information on the transition to Waste Management is provided below, and additional details will continue to be rolled out to everyone as they are finalized with the service provider.
Waste Management will provide:
- New 96-gallon, city branded, wheeled garbage carts for all residents and new 64-gallon wheeled recycling carts.
- A fleet of brand new, quiet-running Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) trucks that are the cleanest burning transportation fuel on the market today which produces the fewest emissions of other fuels to service our city.
- Preventive maintenance program for its vehicles to ensure safe vehicle operations, efficient pickups and proper maintenance of city streets.
- Technology to track its trucks while out in the field. This allows the hauler to communicate with its drivers alerting them of any missed pickups or other issues that can be handled the same day.
- Onboard computing system which keeps a record of every address that has been collected, by providing real time tracking. This system also tracks when pickups are made to ensure the hauler is not violating the city’s noise ordinance by picking up outside the allowed hours.
Highlights of the new service:
- To maximize collection efficiency, the city will be divided into five zones and pickup will be Monday through Friday. The details of routes will be provided later this year, but well in advance of the beginning of the new service in January.
- Waste Management provided the lowest price of the proposals to the city, so there will be a cost increase of $3.38 which equates to a new cost of $14.88 per month for standard service. The annual cost is $178.56. Residents will continue to be billed annually on Gwinnett County’s property tax bill. Residents age 65 and over will be eligible for a 15% discount, which is $12.65 per month and $151.78 per year. The cost for yard waste pickup will be $6.25 for 10 bags each week.
- Backdoor services will be provided to those disabled or physically incapable of taking the cart to the road. Additional details on this service will be provided as soon as possible.
None of the proposals included glass as an approved material for curb-side recycling. Unfortunately, the recycling industry has moved away from including glass due to costs of handling and the reduced return on wholesale sales of the material. Glass also has been a major contaminant to the recycling materials, which reduces the volume of recycling that is reusable.
Waste Management will offer two to three locations where residents may take glass for recycling. The first of those locations will be at Waste Management’s BJ Transfer Station at 6461 Corley Road. The other location or locations are being developed now and will be advertised once final approvals have been completed.
Bulk Pickup & Yard Waste
The details of these services, along with other options for customers, are being finalized now with Waste Management. This information will be provided on this web site and through the newsletter once it becomes available.