Interior Maintenance

What is an interior property maintenance violation?

All residential rental properties in the City of Peachtree Corners must be maintained consistent with the International Property Maintenance Code and City of Peachtree Corners Maintenance Code. If your apartment or rental home is damaged, improperly maintained, unsanitary, or unsafe, there may be a violation of County codes that the property owner is required to fix.

What are some examples of interior code violations that Code Enforcement can help correct?

Interior code violations include leaking pipes, broken toilets, electrical hazards, broken windows or doors, structural damage, or any unsafe or unsanitary condition that is the responsibility of the landlord, property manager, or property owner to maintain.

General. The interior of a structure and equipment therein shall be maintained in good repair, structurally sound, and in a sanitary condition. Occupants shall keep that part of the structure which they occupy or control in a clean and sanitary condition. Every owner of a structure containing a rooming house, housekeeping units, a hotel, a dormitory, two or more dwelling units or two or more nonresidential occupancies, shall maintain, in a clean and sanitary condition, the shared or public areas of the structure and exterior property. 

Interior surfaces. All interior surfaces, including windows and doors, shall be maintained in a good, clean, and sanitary condition. Peeling, chipping, flaking, or abraded paint shall be repaired, removed, or covered. Cracked or loose plaster, decayed wood, and other defective surface conditions shall be corrected. 

Stairs and walking surfaces. Every stair, ramp, landing, balcony, porch, deck, or other walking surface shall be maintained in a safe and sound condition and in good repair. 

Handrails and guards. Every handrail and guard shall be firmly fastened and capable of supporting normally imposed loads and shall be maintained in good condition. 

Light and Ventilation. Every habitable space shall have at least one window of approved size facing directly to the outdoors or to a court. The minimum total glazed area for every habitable space shall be 8 percent of the floor area of such room. Every habitable space shall have at least one openable window. The total openable area of the window in every room shall be equal to at least 45 percent of the minimum glazed area required 

Plumbing and Fixtures. All plumbing fixtures shall be properly installed and maintained in good working order and shall be kept free from obstructions, leaks, and defects, and be capable of performing the function for which such plumbing fixtures are designed. All plumbing fixtures shall be maintained in a safe, sanitary, and functional condition

Water System. Every sink, lavatory, bathtub, shower, drinking fountain, water closet, or other plumbing fixture shall be properly connected to either a public water system or an approved private water system. Water heating facilities shall be properly installed, maintained, and capable of providing an adequate amount of water to be drawn at every required sink, lavatory, bathtub, shower, and laundry facility at a temperature of not less than 110°F (43°C). 

Residential Heating. Dwellings shall be provided with heating facilities capable of maintaining a room temperature of 68°F (20°C) in all habitable rooms, bathrooms, and toilet rooms based on the winter outdoor design temperature for the locality indicated in the Georgia State Energy Code for Buildings (IECC). 

Electric. Every occupied building shall be provided with an electrical system in compliance with the requirements of this section and Section 605.

View the Full City of Peachtree Corners Maintenance Code

Show All Answers

1. Exterior Maintenance
2. Interior Maintenance
3. How do I report an observation or concern?
4. What should I do if I receive a notice of violation (NOV)?
5. What happens when an observation or concern is reported?
6. How do I report an abandoned vehicle (i.e. one that has been parked on a city street for 72 hours or more)?